Sunday, April 17, 2011

Summertime is almost here. Time to blow out the cobwebs.

Just like everyone else, I wear many hats in life. Wife, mother, friend, daughter, grand-daughter, sister, aunt, office manager, volunteer, critique partner, animal lover, dog walker (or at least I should be) and cat scratcher. And of course, writer. In the summer time, I’m also a gardener.

And summer is almost here! (I know, I only get two of those exclamation points in my whole life. Do blogs count, too?) I love flowers. I love grass. I love bees and birds and I love getting my hands dirty (although I really hate it when my cats have been in my garden).

On Saturdays, I head outside as soon as I get up and sometimes it’s getting dark before I remember to come back in or eat. My days seem like they are only a couple hours long. And normally, what is going on in my head is my current wip.

While I’m digging holes, pulling weeds and rearranging plants (you know, kinda like furniture, moving them from one side of the yard to the other), my characters talk to each other. While I’m deadheading or raking leaves, my make-believe world is blossoming and growing. I sit in my lawn chair or on a log and hand-water, (because I like to, not because I don’t have sprinklers) and I plan the next scene.

Then, when the sun goes down, I come inside to my computer and get it all down on paper, so to speak. For me, writing comes easier in the summertime. I don’t understand why, but digging in the dirt clears my mind and makes way for creativity.

I love the summer and it’s almost here! (Crap. I’ve used both of them now.)
I’d love to know who else gardens. And if you don’t, what helps clear your mind?

1 comment:

  1. (Marne Rule #1: In blogging, Vicki is allowed as many !s as she wants!)
    K. I know how you feel, Vicki. I don't know why, but it's Easier to write in the Spring and Summer. The creativity just seems to flow better. In the Winter, I swear I'm hibernating like a bear and my brain turns to fuzz. But in the Spring, the weather begins to warm up and my creativity thaws out or something. Anyway, my garden is ready to go in. This year, I'm adding potatoes, garlic, and basil to the mix. And I'm thinking of replacing a petunia garden with a columbine garden...

    ReplyDelete